Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Which to Switch?

I'm making blocks for the pink Slashed Squares quilt, and one pair of fabrics didn't turn out the way I expected.



This combination of fabrics is just blah. The inner square does not compliment the fun batik outer square. So what can I replace the center square with?


This striped fabric looks OK, but I am a bit worried it will be too dark and that it's too busy.

Blah.

This is OK, but the value of the inner square is the same as the outer one. This actually looks better in the camera than it does in real life.


Too busy.

The value of the inner square is the same as the outer square.  Nope.

Lovely, but I need a "calm" center. This is too busy.

Love this combination, but again, here there are two busy fabrics.

I like this, the print (which doesn't photograph well here, is a "blender" and the color is good. Is it too dark?

Nope. If I put it next to the large flower of another fabric, the colors are the same, and as long as the different colors are repeated in other fabrics all around the quilt, the quilt will look cohesive.


So which one will I use?

I'm not sure yet, but it will be either the first option or the last one.  By the time you read this, I will probably have already solved the problem.





1 comment:

Julie A Hutcherson said...

I like the two dark ones, both the stripe (best) and the blender.